What you need to know about this programme:
• Jan Lisiecki is one of the most outstanding pianists in the world today, acclaimed for his extraordinary interpretive maturity, distinctive sound, and poetic sensibility. The New York Times has called him “a pianist who makes every note count.”
• At 24, the Calgary-born artist’s career at the top of the international concert scene already spans over a decade. He performs in the most prestigious halls worldwide, and has worked closely with the world’s leading orchestras and conductors.
• Lisiecki performs Edvard Grieg’s Piano Concerto, one of the most beloved concertos for piano and orchestra.
• Arvo Pärt’s beautiful, soulful style has made him one of the most performed living composers. This Cantus, an achingly beautiful tribute to Britten, is one of his most popular works.
• Jean Sibelius’ Symphony No. 2 was influenced by sun and good weather in Spain. The majestic themes and heroic spirit made this the most popular of his seven symphonies.
RUNE BERGMANN, conductor
ARVO PÄRT Cantus in Memory of Benjamin Britten
GRIEG Piano Concerto in A Minor, Op. 16
SIBELIUS Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 43