What you need to know about this programme:
• In this late-night presentation, Juno Award and Polaris Prize-winning Inuk throat singer Tanya Tagaq stars in the viscerally moving Qiksaaktuq.
• The Arctic-born artist is an improvisational performer who contorts elements of punk, metal and electronica into a complex and contemporary sound that begins in breath.
• Tagaq’s novel Split Tooth, which was long listed for the 2018 Scotiabank Giller Prize, is a bestseller in Canada.
• Guest conductor Alexander Prior, 26, is Chief Conductor of the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra. This concert features his arrangement Gesualdo’s Moro Lasso from Sesto libro de madrigali, along with the original.
• This performance also includes Fausto Romitelli’s haunting and dissonant Dead City Radio and Barber’s First Symphony — an intense masterpiece from one of America’s greatest composers.
• This special event starts at 7:30PM, when the lobby is transformed into a pre-concert lounge, complete with a live audio-video performance by SNLPTR and drink specials. The concert begins at 9.PM in the Jack Singer Concert Hall.
ALEXANDER PRIOR, guest conductor
GESUALDO( arr. PRIOR ): Moro Lasso from Sesto libro de madrigali
GESUALDO: Moro Lasso from Sesto libro de madrigali
MONTEVERDI: Vieni Imeneo from L’Orfeo
ROMITELLI: Dead City Radio
BARBER: Symphony No. 1 in One Movement, Op. 9