What you need to know about this programme:
- Grammy Award-winning conductor Hans Graf is Music Director Laureate of the CPO.
- Paul Hindemith was at the forefront of the German avant-garde and created bold music that defied tradition.
- Amanda Forsyth performs Electra Rising, a deeply personal cello concerto written for and about her by her father Malcolm Forsyth.
- She is the former principal cello of the CPO in the 1990’s
- Malcom Forsyth was named Canadian Composer of the Year in 1981.
- He immigrated to Canada from South Africa when his daughter Amanda was 2 years old.
- Electra Rising was commissioned by the CPO and the CBC Vancouver Orchestra in 1995, where the premiere took place.
- Brahms’ Symphony No. 3 is unique because all four movements end quietly.
HINDEMITH Concertmusik for Strings and Brass
M. FORSYTH Electra Rising
BRAHMS Symphony No. 3